Pacquiao set for an exhibition match against ex-champion from Russia

Tempo Desk
2 Min Read
Manny Pacquiao

By REYNALD MAGALLON

 

After returning to active status, boxing great Manny Pacquiao is once again going to see action in an exhibition this time, against former world champion Ruslan Provodnikov on April 18 at the Thomas and Mack Center in Las Vegas.

Failing to arrange a bout for his initially announced January 24 fight, the 47-year-old Pacquiao agreed to a 10-round exhibition against Provodnikov, event organizers Indistry Media and Arthur Pelullo’s Banner Promotions made the announcement on Wednesday, Feb. 18.

Pacquiao was reportedly in talks with the camp of WBA champion Rolly Romero following his controversial majority decision draw in his comeback fight against WBC titlist Mario Barrios.

The negotiations did not move forward, however, in the same way as the talks of a potential rematch against Floyd Mayweather never materialized.

Unlike Pacquiao, who made his retirement in 2021 but sprung back action last year, Provodnikov has not fought since hanging his gloves in 2016.

He won the WBO junior welterweight title in 2013 the same year when Pacquiao was one of the best pound-for-pound fighters.

Provodnikov boasted a 25-5 record with 18 knockouts while Pacquiao had a 62-8-3 slate with 39 KOs. The Russian fighter had losses to Chris Algieri, Timothy Bradley and Lucas Mathysse, boxers who also crossed paths and was defeated by the Filipino legend.

 

“Manny and Ruslan should have faced each other earlier in their careers, and it’s a shame it didn’t happen sooner, but at least we are getting it now,” Pelullo said in a statement.

 

“Returning to Las Vegas means so much to me, and I’m excited to work with a team focused on creating a world-class experience for the fans. I’m coming back to give them a great fight — and I’m ready,” said Pacquiao

Share This Article